Jeff is a problem-solving, results-oriented UX Designer with 13+ years of increasing responsibility with collaboration technology. He is consistently recognized for his strategic thinking ability, balanced with exceptional interpersonal and very deep technical skills in all facets of SharePoint and User Experience Design.
Jeff has assisted market leaders like Microsoft, Best Buy, Accenture, NASA, Medtronic, Toro, General Mills, Ernst & Young and many others in realizing the full potential of Microsoft technologies.
He is also experienced in branding SharePoint 2013 master pages, web parts, custom lists, InfoPath forms and templates.
A 2008 MBA graduate from the University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis, MN and now resides in San Francisco, CA.
Many of the projects below have been implemented while employed by Magenic Technologies.
SharePoint 2013 UX Designer
Built several customer-facing websites based on the new SharePoint 2013 platform.
- Created highly-customized SharePoint 2013 websites for Berkleyrisk.com, States (A member-owned company providing excess liability insurance coverage to cities, counties, school districts) and The Dental Liability Trust of Colorado.
- Worked with the Marketing team to uncover the user’s needs while enforcing the brand and sub-brands.
- Provided training to staff on how to take advantage of new SharePoint 2013 functionality.
- Wrote all HTML/CSS and integrated it into the proper master pages and page layout templates.
Partners Health (Harvard Medical)
SharePoint UX Designer
Assisted with the Research Administration Portal Envisioning Phase: Evaluated the current state of research sites and helped identify how SharePoint could improve the end user experience.
- Created personas which bring focus to the users and bring the team to a shared understanding of the user’s needs.
- Use Cases that analyze and document common tasks based on the needs of the users.
- Wireframes to suggest layout, structure and navigation of key pages.
- Visual UI Mockups to illustrate pixel-accurate representations of key pages.
- Design Style Guide is a reference guide that specifies colors, font sizes, web part sizes, layouts and other branding requirements to be adhered to in any future development.
SharePoint 2010 Fast Search iPad Integration
• Developing a mobile experience for iPad, iPhone and Android employees to access SharePoint-housed content.
• Enabled swipe technology and live previews for web applications.
• Created splash page and icon graphics.
Custom SharePoint 2007 Oracle Integration and Event Receivers
• Configured WSS 3.0 for this $7 billion defense contractor
• Eliminated the need to submit a maintenance work order (on 4,000 machines) manually. Utilized MOSS 2007 to automate the process with custom solution packages using C# and custom event receivers
• Branded several hundred intranet SharePoint sites through the use of master pages and site templates
SharePoint 2010 Branding and Migration
• Helped lead the migration of a MOSS 2007 environment to SharePoint 2010
• Configured heavily-customized branding solutions for IE 7 and IE 8 compatibility
• Responsible for error resolution and tracking
• Identified problem (non-intuitive) navigation for their corporate intranet site and revised for a better user experience
SharePoint 2010 Migration and Custom Forms
• Installed, configured, budgeted and made hardware recommendations for a new SharePoint 2010 environment
• Configured multiple web front ends, load balancers, SQL databases, user profile services, alternative access mappings and SSL certificates
• Developed custom data view forms, workflows, alerts and web parts for non-InfoPath SharePoint sites
• Identified 8 users to test a custom form designed to automate mortgage specialist issue/resolution processes
SharePoint 2007 Custom Development
• Led the development of several high-visibility SharePoint sites for Medtronic, Inc. in a MOSS 2007 environment
• Resolved complex custom workflows and developed custom data view web parts using ASP.NET 3.5/4.0
• Configured intricate InfoPath forms in a SharePoint 2010 environment
SharePoint 2010 Migration and Custom Design
• Led the rollout of SharePoint 2010 across the enterprise for more than 5,000 SharePoint MOSS 2007 sites. Languages used were ASP.NET, C#, AJAX, XAML, and JQuery, among others
• Utilized SharePoint Foundation, SharePoint Designer 2010, Silverlight, MS Expression Blend 3.0, Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Management Studio
• Responsible for promoting the SharePoint platform across the enterprise by developing a strategic communications plan, internal branding systems, content management best practices, training seminars, user groups, e-newsletters and a highly unique and effective demonstration site
• Create sophisticated user groups to test a new office product procurement system. Documented findings and authored reports for vice presidents
• Developed several internal SharePoint sites, including a 250-page Human Resources site
• Created and presented site requirements, wireframes, strawmans, and mockups for executive-level approval
• Redesigned document libraries for greater efficiency and searchability
• Trained internal staff on how to develop and customize SharePoint sites
Highly-Customized SharePoint Solution
• Lead developer on a complex SharePoint site for an internal security group within Microsoft
• Heavily manipulated the core CSS style sheets to remove the ‘out of the box’ look for several sites
• Custom HTML, ASP and XML code to create various functionality
• Wrote requirements to get executive approvals within Microsoft
• Developed and deployed custom web parts
• Maintained the relationship with our single point of contact at Microsoft
Best Buy Corporate
SharePoint and BestBuy.com
• Participated in requirements gathering, project scope and brainstorming with senior management
• Wrote requirements, developed navigation strategy, created user interface and hit key milestones
• Customized workflows, lists, libraries, datasheets, RSS feeds and templates
• By eliminating redundancies, we saved an estimated $200,000 a year
• Trained content publishers and reported performance to key management
• Assisted additional Dotcom departments with their online collaboration needs
• Analyzed click-through behavior on weekly Best Buy trigger emails (with an online purchase, an email with related products are sent to the buyer). Determined user behavior and made suggestions on layout, color and design for future emails.
TCF Bank Corporate
Corporate Intranet Design
• Assisted with the design and implementation of a complete intranet overhaul
• Authored RFPs for email and online search vendors
• Developed a campus acquisition strategy to use mobile phone Bluetooth technology
• Led unit testing of new software for the TCF Bank plasma network (400+ flat screen TVs in bank lobbies). Identified bank managers who would update their screens with interest rate changes, local promotions and important news through a custom user interface. Documented findings, made recommendations and reported to regional VPs
• Utilized SharePoint Online for large project collaboration
• Directed new e-commerce strategy to increase online sales of Yearbooks and associated merchandise
• Developed annual product plans featuring: growth initiatives, promotion planning and department budgets
• Held several focus groups with High School students in Baltimore, Oakland, and Manhattan to test new online yearbook creation tools
Global Brand Implementation
• Responsible for a $2 million corporate extranet site, and distribution of high-visibility branding strategy
• Partly responsible for hitting over 200 milestones within six months for launching the new Accenture brand
• Served as the subject matter expert for SharePoint, multimedia, extranets, intranets and online brand strategy
• Led user studies for new proposal, PowerPoint and Word templates. Documented findings, created executive summaries and coordinated all logistics and follow-up
• Developed online training modules and curriculum to educate 100,000 employees on how to live the new brand
University of St. Thomas 8/1/02 – 12/12/08
Masters in Business Administration (MBA) – 3.7 GPA
Marketing and emerging collaborative technology concentration